Young Chicago Authors
Position: Public Programs Manager
Full-time salaried position with benefits
Young Chicago Authors (YCA) is hiring a Public Programs Manager. This is a full-time staff position with a unique mid-size non-profit youth arts organization.
Through creative writing, Young Chicago Authors helps young people from all backgrounds to understand the importance of their own stories and those of others, so that they can pursue the path they choose and work to make their communities more just and equitable. YCA does this work through a variety of arts education programs in and out of schools, which expose young people to Hip-hop realist portraiture and show them how to create their own authentic narratives. The capstone of YCA’s programming each year is the Louder Than A Bomb Chicago Youth Poetry Festival, which has 1,000 participants and more than 6,000 audience members.
The Public Programs Manager oversees all aspects of the organization’s public programs including our weekly open mic, Wordplay; Saturday programming, Check the Method and Emcee Wreckshop; our monthly literary arts and performance salon, Queeriosity; summer programming; and satellite programming with community partners. The position is collaborative, ensuring that all aspects of YCA’s public programs are in sync with the organization’s values, goals, communications, and fundraising strategies. The role is responsible for working alongside the artistic team to design, implement, and evaluate each program. Additionally, this role will work with the Director of Programs and Production to manage the budget, troubleshoot any issues, and ensure program quality. The Public Programs Manager reports to the Director of Programs and Production. The Public Programs Manager is responsible for managing a team of site managers who support public programming.
- Coordinates and manages all public programming at YCA studios; includes setting up all program planning and logistics with key personnel at YCA; scheduling all site managers. Public programs require some evening and weekend hours.
- Manages all public program evaluation.
- Oversees and manages data collection for all programs and any other processes put in place by the evaluation team.
- Schedules and oversees all public program special events; includes recruitment events, culminating events, and any other specialty workshops.
- Maintains ongoing communication with artistic directors and teaching artists over the course of programming.
- Works with the Director of Programs and Production to schedule videographer/photographer to document our work.
- Works with the Director of Programs and Production and artistic leadership to organize and oversee our summer camp, Write To The City, including all logistics, scheduling, and registration.
- Partners with community groups and sponsors to coordinate all satellite programming including YCA on the Block and Wordplay.
- Develops, implements, and oversees outreach technology and systems for program outreach.
Louder Than A Bomb
- Assists Director of Programs and Production with Louder Than A Bomb events including Crossing the Street, specialty programs, as well as Semis, Quarters, Indy, and Team Finals.
- Coordinates public program student participation in LTAB
- Assists with other program-related tasks as needed